Melbourne is often hailed as Australia’s cultural capital and guess what? Your home base for this epic Melbourne adventure couldn’t be more perfectly situated! Nestled in the midst of all the action, the Village Hostel on Franklin St is your gateway to the city’s most iconic attractions. Just steps away from the hostel, you’ll find yourself immersed in the bustling streets, vibrant cafes, and buzzing nightlife that make Melbourne truly special.
Hidden Gems and Local Activities
- Williamstown Botanic Gardens: A serene escape from the bustling city.
- Queen Victoria Market, Royal Botanic Gardens, Fitzroy Gardens, Southbank Promenade: Explore these local attractions located within walking distance or a short tram ride from the hostel.
- Morpha: A cozy spot for your morning coffee or a quick lunch, conveniently located just a minute’s walk from the hostel.
- Operator 25: For a yummy brunch experience, take a leisurely 5-minute stroll from the hostel.
- Lock and Key: A pub that’s perfect for grabbing a pint and some hearty food, also just a 5-minute walk away.
Bars and Distilleries
- BlackCat Fitzroy: A 30-minute tram ride (Tram number 58 to William/Collins St, then number 11 to West Preston) will take you to this trendy bar.
- Naked For Satan: Indulge in unique cocktails and delectable bites with a 35-minute tram ride (same route as above).
- The Drunken Poet: Experience the warmth of an Irish pub just a 7-minute walk from the hostel.
- Section 8: A 10-minute walk will lead you to this popular bar known for its vibrant atmosphere.
- Ferdydurke: Located a mere 13-minute walk from the hostel, this bar offers a relaxed setting to unwind.
Music and Nightlife
- Section 8: Apart from being a great bar, it also hosts live music events.
- Ferdydurke: Another spot to enjoy live music while sipping on your favorite drink.
- MurMur Piano Bar: For jazz enthusiasts, a 12-minute walk from the hostel will take you to this exquisite cocktail bar.
- Birds Basement Jazz Club: Located just an 8-minute walk away, this is a must-visit for jazz lovers.
- NGV (National Gallery of Victoria): A 20-minute tram ride will take you to this renowned art museum.
- ACMI (Australian Centre for the Moving Image): Immerse yourself in the world of film and digital culture with a 25-minute walk or a short tram ride.
- Shrine of Remembrance: Pay your respects at this significant war memorial, accessible via a 35-minute walk or a tram ride.
- Collins St: Just 10 minutes from the hostel, this is a shopping haven.
- Melbourne Central, QV, Emporium: Explore these shopping centers located in the CBD area.
- DFO Docklands: For outlet shopping, head to this location.
- Woolworths and Aldi: Conveniently located supermarkets for all your essentials.
Adventure and Activities
- Melbourne Skydeck: Enjoy panoramic views of the city with a 17-minute tram ride followed by a short walk.
- Melbourne Zoo: Spend a day with wildlife, accessible via a 20-minute tram ride.
- City Walking Tours: Consult our Events Coordinator Sandy for details on guided tours.
- Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre: Experience various events and exhibitions with a 20-minute tram ride.
Come visit us on Franklin street!